Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Fear is Getting Real Now


I have received my license to work in Texas. I have written a new resume and begun to turn in applications. My preceptor from my clinical rides has helped me obtain an interview at her service, and I am starting to feel a pressure that is unlike the pressure and anxiety I experienced going through basic school. If I screwed up in school, I did not get fired. Not only that, I think people expect less from the students. The truth of the matter is: I am not trained any more than I was when I was doing clinicals. Sure, I passed my exams and national registry test, but I have had no more time on the street.

I find myself worrying about patient care, assessment, driving, skills, reputation, attitude, etc. The mistakes I make are real now. I know that I am not expected to be perfect, but I am starting to get nervous and wondering if I can even reach acceptable in a new employers eyes. At a minimum, I don’t wont to hurt anyone any worse than when I found them. My gut tells me yes, I can excel, but I think it is just human to have that voice in the back of my head saying “what if?”

Now I am just reviewing basic material, preparing myself for the next semester, and attempting to be positive. Why is it that when we learn more, we only have more questions, and things become increasingly uncertain? It is totally counter intuitive…

5 comments:

EE said...

Texas, huh...send me an email when you get the chance: emergencyemm(AT)yahoo.com

AdCy said...

All you can do is take one thing at a time, and fall back on your ABC's. You'll never fail that way!
Like your blog

.. said...

I still get giddy watching the helicopter land... it really never does get old.

Sounds like you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work.

tracy said...

Hi! Just found you blog and i love it! i am sooo impressed that you are going to be a paramedic, they are my idols! Way to go. i was just happy to recert recently as a "b".

Best to you, tracy

Unknown said...

As an EMTB getting ready to try this exact same thing, I'm going to be watching your blog closely. Thanks for writing this, and keep up the good work!